Pages - Menu

Monday, April 7, 2014

Finally Loaded and Firing...

I took my car in for service early this morning.  They shuttled me home which gave me time to finish last minute glazing for the kiln.  At 1PM I fired off the kiln and I am still waiting to hear about my car.  


Per the last post, I have my fingers crossed!!!  One suspect peice is in the foreground on the right.  It is a dolphin sculpture I have made as a gift.  At 212F water begins to boil. 

from http://www.dogwoodceramics.com/support/speed-is-not-your-friend.htm

 "The moment a water molecule changes from the water state to the gaseous state the molecule undergoes rapid expansion to a volume 1,600 times greater than volume occupied by a water molecule.  Explosive expansion would be a better way to describe the event. Thick walls of clay and other water molecules hanging around will not present much resistance to the rapidly expanding water molecule.  The sound of the clay exploding in the kiln has been described "like a flash-bang grenade" going off.  Hopefully only the single item will be destroyed, though all too often complete kiln loads of ware can be destroyed by the shock waves reverberating through the kiln. "

Shock waves doing the damage.  Amazing!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment