Pages - Menu

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Some Wins and Some Losses...

I unloaded the kiln when I returned from welding lab around 4PM yesterday.  The most disappointing was the "water slide" decals I created. The failure ruined my dolphin gift!  Oh well... Only one of the decals that went on green or bisque works survived the firing.  However, they all had glaze on top of the decal which may have been the problem.  They all burned away leaving fragments of sepia color and the clear glaze puddled.  The two decals that appear to have fired properly were those on the already glazed surfaces.

It's amazing to me how much work goes into ceramics and there is always a risk that something will go wrong!  But, I shouldn't complain since I am still in the prototype and learning stage, especially with glazing.

A win...I will add decals and fire again...
A loss...you can see the "sepia" remains of the decals
this is where the decal actually worked!

this pot will get a wash in the textures area and be fired again

The work below is a metal and ceramic piece I am creating for a call to artist show.  The steel and copper metal metal circle still needs finishes and then the ceramic piece needs to be attached to the metal.  Finally live plant will be added to the copper "cups" and perhaps some other embellishments...  I will post a final picture of the completed work.



The photo below is my "found object" sculpture for my metal class.  It still needs some work before it is completed.  I will post the completed work.




No comments:

Post a Comment