Pages - Menu

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Field Trip

I am off on a field trip with my neighbor Linda this AM.  She is taking Printing I at Yavapai College this semester.  The class is visiting a local printer at his studio today.  I am not sure what to expect, but I always love to see other artist's studio.  I will take my camera and if he allows, I will take some pics and post later (updating this post) if they are at all interesting...

It rained last night and the pollen counts are a little lower today, so I plan to work in the landscape today and not in my studio.  Soooo much to do!  LOL

UPDATE:
The tour of Skyline Type Foundry was very interesting!  This guy, Scott, has acquired very old printing machines and refurbished them.  Although he has many printing presses, he mainly creates the metal font types.  Apparently there is a niche market for type set printing these days.  Everything retro...


This machine liquefies the metal and drives it into a "matrix" chamber to form the metal type. It is automatic once the operator sets up the spacing etc. which can be different for different letters and fonts.

I was very excited to see the all the old machines.  It brought back good memories of my career as a manufacturing designer and engineer!  I really did enjoy that work.  (Hmmmm, maybe that's why I enjoy the metal welding so much?!?)   In addition to enjoying the tour, I needed two photos for 16" X 20" prints on metal, only $9.99 Groupn from Print Pix!  I had purchased the Groupon in December and it was ready to run out in two days!  Below are the two pics I used.


 

PS Didn't work much in the landscape, by the time I got home and had lunch it was 2PM!  Shortly afterwards it began to rain again!

PSS Monday is our first session to paint the step stools, so look for a new post about that event...

No comments:

Post a Comment